Saturday, March 28, 2009

Backyard Flora and Shuttle Surprise

Just a quick post this evening...I wanted to share this beautiful rose from the pool deck...the sprinklers were on and when they turned off and the sun came out really bright this is what I found...I just loved the way the water droplets were so clear.

The news this morning said that the shuttle was going to be returning today at 1:48...I was up sewing and cutting and realized that 1:48 had come and gone...it was a bit after 3...I had the rotary cutter in my hand and BOOM! The sonic boom of the shuttle entering the atmosphere...I jumped, the windows shook and the dogs went nuts, barking, barking, barking! Andy had the TV on and yelled up to me that the shuttle was coming in. I was actually quite surprised that it landed in Florida today...they didn't come in at 1:48 because of lots of wind and heavy clouds...the wind was still blowing and it was still pretty cloudy at 3:14 but it's home...safe and sound. Much to be thankful for.

10 comments:

Red Geranium Cottage said...

What beautiful Flora you have there in Flora uh I mean Florida!!
That BOOM would scare me to death.

Anonymous said...

While sewing today I heard on the tv that the shuttle would be coming in afterall....weird as I thought of you and wondered if you see it arrive as your post of it leaving. Did that make sense?

Salem Stitcher said...

Beautiful rose! I am looking forward to mine blooming soon.

*karendianne. said...

Isn't that cool! The big Boom I mean. I love your pretty rose, too. Nothing like a lovely rose with a touch of water droplets. Seriously. That's just the gentle touch of the hand of God.

Anonymous said...

I think those sonic booms are so fun to hear. I remember they were commonplace when I was a kid, they were always testing stuff out at Edwards in the desert. Now you don't hear them at all, except the rare times the space shuttle has to land here instead of Florida. I think they landed here the last time maybe, and they gave us a double sonic boom.

Nicole said...

It just blows me away that the shuttle is practically in your back yard!
I have some red roses blooming, on my climbing trellis. Spring has sprung in California too.

Laurie said...

You don't know how good it is for an Oregonian like me to gaze at that beautiful flower, in the sunshine no less!!! It rained like crazy here all day yesterday. That photo lifted my spirits. How exciting about the shuttle, I can just imagine how startling that boom must have been! Have a great day!

Carrie P. said...

The rose is beautiful. We got to experience the boom of the shuttle a long time ago when we lived in Florida. Not a good thing to hear when you have a rotary cutter in your hand.

Gretchen said...

A beautiful rose. I imagine that the dogs did go crazy with the big boom! You are lucky you didn't make a mistake sewing!

Vicky said...

The shuttle booms are so awesome to hear. The first one that landed in CA at Edwards scared the beejeebers out of me!!