Tuesday, July 03, 2012

love...Mamie Let's Put it Together

Let the fun begin...we're going to put our quilts together...gather your 72- 6 1/2" blocks...these are the inside.  We're going to call this block the positive...(the one with the dark fabric in the 5 position)
 and this block
the negative (the one with the dark fabric in the 4 position)...you're going to lay out your blocks in rows of 8 blocks and we will need 9 rows.  Begin your first row with a positive block and alternate positive, negative...by doing this your blocks will nest very nicely together. Press...I always press the odd rows to the left and the even rows to the right...do whatever works for you. Your second row will begin with a negative block and so on...every block in your quilt will alternate...positive...negative.
Sew your rows together and press...I pressed all my rows down.

You can also sew your pieced border together...gather your 80- 3 1/2" blocks...you'll need to sew 20 of your  together alternating positive and negative...you'll end up with 4 strips of 20 blocks.

That's it...ready for the borders to go on...I'll post those directions on Thursday...you'll have everything you need before the weekend.  We're leaving for Birmingham on Friday for Peyton's baptism so I want you to have all your directions.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to e-mail me.  Have lots of fun!

6 comments:

Nancy said...

I want to ask you a question about the blocks but I can't get through using my AOL email address. Can you drop me a note please at melrosemiss@aol.com? Thanks.

Melanie said...

I'm off tomorrow-- hoping for some stitching time.....

Cheryl said...

I know I'm going to wish I had done this...think it will have to go on my to do list for sure!!! Happy 4th to you.

Janet O. said...

I've been saving the instructions. I want to make it at some point, but I know I can't right now. Such a fun, cheery quilt. Thanks, Carol.

MARCIE said...

Love that method for making 9-patch blocks. Yours are so cute! Enjoy your summer!

Anonymous said...

Carol, ah, the last 6 years have
been such a blessing and also so
much turmoil (I too lost my mom
a year ago next month). Thanks for reminding me to not only look forward, but cherish the past. Please enter me in your contest for the gift certificate.