Friday, July 30, 2010

It's Too Hot To Be Outside...

So I've been staying inside as much as I can, keeping the air conditioner turned down, and sewing...and I've really been having fun. I cut and sewed this month's Year of Schnibbles top this week...Joy Luck...it was lots of cutting and sewing but well worth it...I really like it a lot...I used FreeBird by MoMo...it's way out of my comfort zone...not my colors and pretty modern...but I do like it. After it's quilted I'll be giving it to Katie...she'll love it...their kitchen is the green and their dining room is the red...

I've been working away on my Between Charming Friends...I brought it downstairs to show Andy and he said "There are a lot of pieces in that...how many are there?" Well, I hadn't even thought about it...I knew there were a lot but really didn't have a clue...I got the calculator and started counting blocks...then I had a light bulb moment...I knew I had sewed and sewed and sewed...I had decided that I was going to make it 8 blocks across and 9 down...on point...you can probably guess where I'm going with this...I've been quilting for over 30 years and I know this...when you put it on point you need almost twice as many blocks...that's not what I was thinking when I was sewing...9 X 8=72 blocks....WRONG! so when I did the math...1600 pieces...and I don't have the border done yet. I need to make a decision on the border and I don't want to make a zillion more blocks. But I do love it...it's so darn cute...those little blocks are just wonderful...thank you so much Darlene for the pattern and Kelly for making them little.

Look at these wonderful notecards that I got in the mail from Mona (no blog)...she bought one of my bundles and sent these when she sent the check. She made them...they are beautiful. I told her they were way too pretty to write on...Thank you Mona!

I also cut another Schnibble today...Short Story from Schnibbles Times Two and I'm using Bliss...I'm loving this fabric. I'm doing this one for Mom to put in the pink polka dot doll carriage that she's giving Camden for Christmas...then I'm doing the big Short Story for Camden...she and her American Girl Bitty Baby that mom gave her for her birthday will have matching quilts.

They just issued a heat advisory for tomorrow...said it's going to be the hottest day since 1930 something...you know where to find me!

30 comments:

Suburban Stitcher said...

everything you've done is just beautiful! great job :)

Abby and Stephanie said...

Pretty everything but especially loving Joy Luck.

Sherri said...

Love your Joy Luck...and the Bliss quilt is going to be amazing too!We're having lots of heat too...this has been the hottest July since records have been kept...

Chartreuse Moose said...

Thanks for a lovely post! So many things happening...fun too! Stay inside and enjoy...and cool!!!

Laura said...

I like both quilts, but I really like your Between Charming Friends!

Carol said...

Your Joy Luck quilt is so nice with the Freebird fabric, Katie is going to love it. Great gift. What an accomplishment to get your Between Charming Friends large version done, you could do solid simple border and it would look great. Are you going to put it on your bed? You've just been a busy little bee in the sewing room and having the time of your life. Can't wait to see your Bliss short story quilt. Love the note cards too.

Anonymous said...

Oh Carol...I should have stuck a little something in with my check too! The notecards she sent you are darling...now why don't I think like that?!
Cute Joy Luck!! I posted mine today too.
...everything wonderful here...lovely post!

Jean said...

Between Charming Friends -- love it, love it. I like this Schnibbles too. You are being very productive. Wow.

Melanie said...

Great Progress... I've been eyeing the Charming Girls project. What a great way to tidy up the scrap bin. I love the Bliss fabric line. Haven't purchased any----but I've been wishing.... Enjoy the a/c...Fall is coming...

Kate said...

Feel free to send some heat my way! Love your joy luck club, looks great.

It usually safer not knowing how many pieces are in a quilt :-)

Karen said...

I just purchased the "Schnibbles Times Two" book yesterday. Some good reading in it and a good variety of quilts to make. I think I will cut some of my own stash up to make parts for some quilts in the book.
You have a ton of pieces in your Between Friends Quilt" More than you would have wanted to think about when you first started.

Jonathan said...

Love everything, you always make such pretty quilts!
I love your Between Friends quilt. I'm still plugging away on mine, and I'm only making the small version! I've been slacking ;-)
The Bliss quilt is going to be so pretty, I'm loving that line!

Gretchen said...

WOW that's a lot of little pieces. My goodness I bet you are glad you counted when you were done and not half way through! Beautiful quilt and love the Joy Luck Schnibble. I have looked through Schnibble Times Two book a zillion times; I think I want to make them all...I'll be inside all weekend here too.

Lori said...

Yea, another sew day!! LOL

What beautiful quilts you have put together. I never really want to count how many pieces? LOL

Allie said...

Ooh that quilt is so pretty! I like that Joy Luck pattern a lot.
Your Between Charming Friends is gorgeous!!!! I didn't know that you need twice as many blocks to put them on point - yikes! That's a LOT of pieces!

The notecards from Mona are very pretty. How nice of her to send them! Can't wait to see your latest Schnibble, if it's going to be that hot then I know where you'll be - you'll probably finish the small one tomorrow, lol!

Darlene said...

Love, love, love your Joy Luck Schnibble.

And, your Between Charming Friends quilt is adorable in the tiny pieces. I'm glad you've enjoyed making it.

We already know that Short Story is going to be fabulous in Bliss - teehee

Quilts And Pieces said...

Adorable! I really love your between friends! It looks great! I just finished my center for X-rated but am contemplating some different borders. So I"m at a standstill for now.

QuiltSue said...

I love both quilts, but I don't know which one I love most.

Looking forward to seeing the next one now.

Sandy said...

What is the pattern for between charming friends. I really like it and have lots of 30's fabric for it.
unless you want it bigger, I would just bind it.

Diane said...

terrific post! love the pictures and all your quilts-stay cool!

Shakerwood said...

You said it, sister! Kind of over this heat thing now. The boys are showing their laziness and mine since I haven't really been walking them. They don't like the heat, either. They are labs, after all.

Boy, that Joy Luck is out of your box and mine but I like it!

Nicole said...

You have done beautiful work! Stay cool!

Thelma said...

I am so envious of the time you're able to spend in your sewing room. This has been the worst sewing summer for me. It seems like I've been on the go the whole summer.

Joy Luck is lovely, a great fabric choice for that pattern.

And your Between Friend Quilt, I love it, don't take the easy route just to finish it up, you'll be so glad you spent the time making a fabulous border once it's done. What's another week or two when you'll have the quilt for years?

Kim Brackett said...

Love your Joy Luck quilt. The fabrics are great. And Between Charming Friends is adorable. You've been busy!

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, stay cool Carol. Your quilts are beautiful. Lots of work, but well worth it! You should do what my Mom's Florida friend does -- she spends the summer months visiting all her friends in the north!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Love your Joy Luck - and especially Darlene's quilt in 30's prints! So cute! And, I love that you're making Camden and her doll matching quilts - how fun!!! What a fun grandma you are (smile)!!!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

You've really been taking advantage of your time inside. Love the quilts.

Dandelion Quilts said...

Love the Joy Luck and can't wait to see the BLISS! Just beautiful.

Michelle said...

WOW! I love both of your quilts! I just love your work or should I say talent? LOL!

Can't wait to see BLISS!

Carrie P. said...

catching up on your blog. Your quilt tops turned out great. You have been very busy. And busy in the yard I see. I know you are glad to be done with that. thanks for stopping by my blog.