Wednesday, November 23, 2011

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

We have so very much  to be thankful for this year...although it's been a difficult year for so many, we still have much for which to be thankful.  Where do I begin?  My mom of 89, despite the fact that she is very ill is soooooooooooo excited that the kids will be here for the holiday.  A pretty good doctor's report yesterday, no transfusion this week...and that's exactly what mom wanted them to say.  My sweet husband, I know for sure I wouldn't have made it through these last months without him.  He's there to do whatever needs to be done, always has words of reassurance, and sometimes just the fact that he's sitting with me is all I need to make it through.  My wonderful Josh and Katie, who completely changed their plans for Thanksgiving, we were all going there.  Josh and the children will be here this evening, he's driving down with them and Katie will be here in the morning, she's flying in at 9...the doctor wouldn't let her sit in the car for that long since our "Buster" is due the beginning of Jan and she always goes at least a week early.  My amazing friends, the calls, the e-mails, the notes of support have done more for me than any of you will ever know...I am so thankful.  Good health, despite the fact that I turn the big 60 tomorrow I am in wonderful health, a little twitch or twinge occasionally but for the most part in great shape for an old girl.

I could go on and on I know...but it feels really good to make a list of things to be thankful for...this is exactly what I need to do each and every day...stop and think of the things I have to be thankful for and not dwell on the other stuff...as a very dear friend of mine told me the other day..."We can't do a thing about yesterday, we are not able to control what tomorrow will bring, we have today, we need to take care of today."  I love it!  Really put everything in perspective for me...yesterday's done, I can't fix anything that happened then...tomorrow is going to come and I need to just wait and take care of it when it gets here...TODAY, that is the gift I have. 

Wishing all of you a wonderful Thanksgiving...ENJOY every moment...I know I will!

32 comments:

Jocelyn said...

So glad that you will be enjoying Thanksgiving with your family :-) Wishing you and yours a happy and blessed Thanksgiving. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Angie said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Carol. I too am blessed beyond measure---and one of those blessings are friends like you. Hugs.

Angie said...

Ooops, also meant to add my happy birthday wishes to you! :)

Linda V said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your wonderful family. I don't know all the challenges you have faced, but see that you are doing your best and have a great attitude!

I am a caregiver for elderly parents and my dad is not doing well, either. It looks like he will be with us this Thanksgiving and for that I am very grateful! I do have a younger brother however, that has given up on life and battling a seriously, life-threatening addiction. There is nothing left to do but pray for him. I'll keep you and yours in my prayers and also any families that are having a difficult time this holiday season!
Love and hugs,
Linda
http://homesweetquiltinghome.blogspot.com/

Gypsy Quilter said...

I know you will enjoy this holiday more than any others that have come before. Blessings and safe travels to you all.

sunny said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I make mental lists of what I'm grateful for, but I think writing them down would even be better. Happy Birthday, too!

Diane said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
So glad to hear the good report for your mom.

Darlene said...

Happy Thanksgiving, my dear friend. Focus on TODAY!!!

Enjoy your Andy, your Mom, Josh, Katie and the little people.

(Hugs)

regan said...

Happy Thanksgiving and a very Happy Birthday to ya! Family around, a feast, AND presents! Can't beat that! Lucky you! :o)

Nedra said...

Wonderful thoughts Carol. Enjoy the day with those you love most, a true day of Thanksgiving!

Janet O. said...

Carol, this is a great post. Thanks for sharing it. Happy Thanksgiving and Birthday! I am celebrating my birthday today, as I make the pies for our dinner tomorrow. : )

Karen said...

Guess you will be cooking turkey this year. I had assumed that you would be heading north for the holiday. It is good that the kids could find a way to come spend time with you. And that your mom will get to see all of them. Lots of blessings to count and be thankful for.
We have company and have reservations for dinner at a restaurant over on the river. Hope the food is good. I just can't tackle preparing a big dinner this year.

Have a wonderful time with your family.

Anne Heidi said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Barb said...

Happy Thanksgiving and Birthday!
Enjoy your time with family!
xx

Libby said...

Happy Thanksgiving - hope you and your family enjoy!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday. Wishing you a bountiful Thanksgiving.

Linda said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Carol!!

Stitched With Prayer said...

Carol, Today is my baking day so my time on the computer is limited, but I just had to tell you thank you for this beautiful post. I read it twice because it is such a gift to my heart. You are so right that we need to be present in Today because yesterday is past and tomorrow remains a question mark. I too am surrounded by so many blessings...I need to take note of them every single day. There is so much I would like to say, but so little time just now...so I want to tell you that I pray your Thanksgiving will be filled with joy, love and the blessings of the Lord. Also, Happy Birthday tomorrow. I hope your entire day is a wonderful gift. (ummm...I past the big 60 a year and a half ago, it's not bad at all, LOL). Big Hugs n Love

Cheryl said...

A BIG Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. So glad everyone is going to be there. And that 60 thing....well it happened to me in October and it's ok :-)!!!! (hugs)

suemac said...

Hope all goes well and that you have a great family day with turkey and all the fixings.

Allie said...

Glad to hear the dr's report, Carol! Your birthday is on Thanksgiving? So is my hubby's, lol! Wishing you a very joyous Thanksgiving and a very Happy Birthday!!!

Vicky said...

Happy Birthday, Carol! Wishing you the most wonderful year!

Dandelion Quilts said...

What a nice post, Carol. I hope that the blessing of family warms your heart this Thanksgiving, and that you are just able to hold onto that joy for the weekend. I think your friend is right...sometimes we just have to take care of today. Although, I have found it is often easier said than done. I just know you will have a house full of joy for the weekend. May you have many, many, many moments of laughter of love.

Melanie said...

Happy thanksgiving!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What a great list of things to be thankful for.

And happy birthday! Just remember that 60 is the new 40 (just ask me how I know - ha!).

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it was great!

deb said...

so much to be thankful for...so glad your mom is excited for the holiday!!! your hubby sounds wonderful!!!!

AnnieO said...

Counting your blessings instead of reliving your losses and worries--that's true Thanksgiving for sure! Glad you have some small pieces of good news to celebrate and that you'll be together for the holiday. Happy happy birthday!

Michele said...

Happy Belated Thanksgiving! What a great post. I will have to keep the part about "today" in mind, especially during this busy holiday season.

Thimbleanna said...

I hope you had a good Thanksgiving Carol -- and a Wonderful Birthday!!!

Carrie P. said...

I hope this month is so much sweeter and that you can enjoy your Christmas.

Kim said...

Hi Carol,
I was thinking about you this morning so thought I would stop by to say hello and leave a big hug. :)