Monday, September 03, 2012

Old Habits are Hard to Break

There's not going to be a single bit of sewing in the post today...I have to share a chuckle that Andy and I shared a couple of days ago.  As we were leaving to run a few errands I picked up my purse and said..."Oh Monday I have to change this purse out...this one needs to go away."  He looked at me like maybe I was running off the rails, but I wasn't...I think I must have been channeling Mom.  She was a stickler about no white after Labor Day or before Easter....well, last year the day after Labor Day I went over to get Mom to run some errands and go to the grocery, I had this purse on my shoulder...she looked at me and said "You know better"  What, there I stood, almost 60 years old, and my mother was telling me I knew better.  I had no clue where she was going with this.  When I asked, she said "Well your purse"...
What???  My purse, she'd seen that purse a million times, always liked it and now all of a sudden my purse was a problem. I guess I must have had a very puzzled look on my face and she said "It's the day after Labor Day and that purse is close enough to white to have to go away...bring it out again after Easter."  OH MY Word!  I sat down on her couch and laughed until I had tears running down my face...when I pulled myself together, I explained that I thought that it didn't count because it was REALLY white and that it really was my very favorite purse in the world...there I was 7 years old again...she got so tickled that she laughed and laughed and then said "I was really just teasing"....we both had a good laugh.

So today, we had another good laugh and "Yes Mom, it's up on the shelf, and I won't bring it out again until Easter"...what a fun memory!  Thanks for letting me share...I'll be back tomorrow with a sewing post...

25 comments:

Melanie said...

Smiles---all smiles..... I remember my mom telling me if I sit too close to the TV I'd need glasses and if I didn't push my hair back I would have a bald spot in the back of my head!!!! I know my kids will have funny stories on day..

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to have that fond memory...but...it is ok to wear white after Labor Day according to one of the morning shows I watch. It seems nowadays anything goes...same with quilting.

Rita said...

I have a straw purse and just the other day I was looking at it thinking "time to change the purse". Isn't it funny how things like that always stick with us?

Dirt Road Quilter said...

LOL - these are the memories that bring us joy! It's funny how those things crop up, but I am glad that they do.

Carol said...

Cute story. It's memories like this that will keep your mom with you always.

Jocelyn said...

How funny is that!! I remember the shoes, going from white to black!!

Karen said...

Oh yes, I remember that rule. I have heard more than once on television fashion segments, that the rule no longer holds true. And especially here in Florida where shorts and sandals seem to be a year round thing for some people.

Me and My Stitches said...

That's so funny. My Mom thinks the same thing - no white after Labor Day. I think I'm a rule breaker! Thanks for sharing your funny!

regan said...

Your mom was absolutely right! lol And I can remember (and I have pics to prove it) that Easter dresses were worn with brand new white patent leather shoes! AND a new white purse to match! I don't remember getting to wear the outfit much, but it would be that year's new 'best' dress outfit, and it was every Easter.

Thanks for the memories!

Thelma said...

I'm with your Mom, that's a rule I still live by! But I didn't think it applied to people who lived in Florida, really!

joan said...

Fond memories are so special.. Mom alwyas knows!

Cheryl said...

Yes, a good memory and I can hear my mom saying the same thing. Sweet post Carol.

Cathy said...

Funny, funny! Our moms train us well.

sunny said...


what a great memory!

Janet O. said...

Good time with Mom! Love such memories.

Diane said...

What a kick. That really brought a smile to my face.

Pat from Florida said...

Oh my! I thought white was ok in FL all year! No? White sandals? White pants? Geesh! Here goes my wardrobe for your mom.

What did she think of Michele Obama in sleeveless dresses, up north, in the dead of winter? Just wonderin.

Too funny, LOL!

Vickie said...

What a great way to remember your mom. Hugs.

Diane said...

that's too funny-I was told the same thing and even though I do wear white after labor day I always feel a bit scandalous doing so-which, of course, makes it all the more fun!

paulette said...

Love it!! A great memory for sure!! Hope you changed that purse!! haha
P

JudyCinNC said...

Those parent tapes - oh how wonderful. I went into the hospital on Aug 31st wearing white capris and already told my husband I need another color capri to go home in when I am discharged. He just chuckles - but it is gospel you know. Judy C

MB in MI said...

Excellent post! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Anne Heidi said...

What a great memory :-)

Sharon Dawn said...

What a fun memory to have!! Isn't it funny that no matter our age, we are influenced by "rules" we were taught when we were much, much younger!! Thanks for sharing your smile-maker!!

Becky said...

I love that, "You know better..." Perfect! Wonderful post!

I'm only 48 and I adhere to the same rule. And while I'd like to be a rebel, I just can't. And even if I don't say anything, I think it when I see others.

One of the reasons I like that rule is because it "saves" certain clothes and looks for special times of the year. Wearing white in the summer is so clean and well, Summery!