Sunday, October 16, 2011

Back to Nature

Nothing quilty to share today...saving my stitchery for Wednesday's post...so I'll share some nature from my backyard.  I was upstairs this morning putting backs together for Hampton and Camden's quilts when I looked out my window and saw something large on my neighbor's window...I thought from where I was that it was a bird that had hit the window...came downstairs and went out and checked...NOPE...it was this giant moth/butterfly
(I'm not sure what it is...anyone know?)...Thankfully these neighbors are out of the country, because as you can see from my picture I was right up near the window and zoomed this picture.  They would have been a bit alarmed to see me right out their window...to say the least.

UPDATE:  I just got an email from Christine...she did some research and found out that it is a Vine Sphinx Moth...Isn't the internet an amazing thing...got our answer just that quick!  Thanks Christine.

Then last evening we were out on the back porch, it was really pretty cloudy and then all of a sudden the western sky absolutely lit up...What a magnificent sight!  The Beauty of Nature...beyond compare!

16 comments:

sunny said...

Mother Nature is the BEST artist!

Marsha B said...

Thanks for sharing, your pictures are great!

Diane said...

That moth looks almost like it was carved from wood.

Needle, Thimble and Thread said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Needle, Thimble and Thread said...

It's a Vine Sphinx Moth.

http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Vine-Sphinx-Moth

Stitched With Prayer said...

Beautiful pictures Carol! I haven't seen one of those moths around here for years, but when I was growing up in a far less populated community, we would see them through the late summer and fall. I remember the first time I remember seeing one, we thought it was a hummingbird. They are enormous for a moth...at least by my standards, LOL, but as beautiful holding still as they are interesting in flight. Thanks so much for sharing. Hugs...

suemac said...

Great picture of the moth. My husband and I both like to take butterfly pictures.

Pat from Florida said...

Art work by God. Doesn't get any better!

Darlene said...

Mother Nature does have some interesting critters. Looks like was made of sticks.

The bright sun came from me - just sharing our sunshine. :-)

deb said...

I dont care for moths....even the name moth bothers me....Im always afraid one will fly in my mouth when Im sleeping....

Nedra said...

The moth almost looks like a model for a military fighter plane.

Allie said...

What a neat looking moth! And yes, it's a good thing the neighbors weren't home, lol. Pretty sunset - my favorite time of day!

Kim Brackett said...

Cool! Aren't there are a lot of unique "critters" in this state?

Michelle said...

That is the NEATEST looking bug - doesn't it look like it's carved out of wood?

Angie said...

That moth is waaaay cool, Carol!! I haven't seen one of those. It is a masterpiece!!! And that sunset---oh Carol, it stops you in your tracks.

Cheryl said...

That moth is amazing!!!