Thursday, October 27, 2011

I Think I Fell Down the Rabbit Hole

I seem to have lost time...this week is nearly over and I almost feel like I've been in some sort or alternative universe...out of body experience...hovering over watching this wild woman go through the days.  But I'm happy to say that I think there may just be a light at the end...maybe I'm coming out the other door of the rabbit hole.  It's been a crazy two weeks...first the hospital, then mom home from the hospital and not doing very well, Monday went to the doctor only to find out that she had lost almost 8 pounds in a week...she wasn't eating a thing.  She wasn't going to tell the doctor, I let her go through everything she had to tell him and he was ready to finish with the appointment...here was my opening...he asked me if I had any concerns..."Do I!"...I let him know that she hadn't eaten enough in 2 weeks to keep a small dog alive and that if we didn't get some nourishment in her I didn't know what was going to happen.  Well, he was sitting on a stool on wheels and he spun that around and took both of mother's hands, looked her right in the eye and asked her why she wasn't eating.  She said she just didn't feel like it.  I was at my wits end...they had brought her food over from the dining room, mashed potatoes, baked potato, baked sweet potato, grilled chicken breast...it was all still in the refrigerator when I got there Monday.  So when we left the doctor's office I told her I'd go get her anything she wanted...ANYTHING!  She decided she'd like a chicken salad sandwich and some soup...I put half of the sandwich on her plate and the half the soup in a bowl...BINGO!  She ate...YIPPEE!  I called Monday evening...she ate...I went back over on Wednesday (after checking in on her several times on Tuesday) and she ate a great lunch...and admitted that she really felt so much better.  So now that I've made this a really long story...the short of it is...I think we're on the right road and headed in the right direction.

Got a call Monday evening from Jami's husband Thom...my friend has taken a turn for the worse and is in a Hospice hospital...please, please remember her in your thoughts and prayers. I went and saw her on Tuesday morning...we talked and talked and she said "God is so good.  He knew how much I wanted to deliver the pillowcases and quilts to the soldiers at Fort Gordon.  He made sure that I had the 2 best days to do that."  and "All the ladies across the US  and Norway sent all those pillowcases to make it possible."  Then she said "Carol, I am so blessed."  OMG...she is the most amazing woman...what a testament...I am blessed to have her in my life.

This has gotten very long, sorry...hopefully we'll get back to our regularly scheduled program really soon.  Here's my first step to regular...a block from Nice People Nice Things...I missed last week and I'm a day late this week...but I'm happy to share...
Check Kelly over at Charming Chatter to see more fun blocks...I have my block ready to go for next week...these are just so much fun!

25 comments:

Cheryl said...

Carol you have so much going on. I am so happy you spoke up about your mom and that she is eatting and getting her strenght back. I can only imagine the relief for you. So sorry to hear about Jami. My thoughts and prayers are with her and with you too. You are such a good, wonderful person. (hugs)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear all the not so nice news....prayers are being sent and I hope they are answered soon.

Rita said...

It's so hard when they don't want to eat. My elderly parents say the same thing...they just aren't hungry but it's so important. I'll pray that your mother feels better soon.

JudyCinNC said...

Carol I am so sorry to hear this about Jami - and trulu believe that she was given the blessing of strength for one more trip to Fort Gordon. We are all sending our prayers to her and her family for the strength to get through this.

Sounds like the soup might be a good winner. Homemade soup is what I eat lunch and dinnner. Hope she continues to gain strength. Judy C

Stitched With Prayer said...

Oh Carol, Bless your heart! So many heavy things on you heart and mind. I was so excited when you said your mom has started eating again. What a relief it must have been for you. With nourishment she should start to really bounce back. I will continue to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, you are always in my heart. I struggled with tears and lost the battle when you told us about Jami. Through you I feel as though I know her personally and I am so saddened by this turn she has taken. She will also be in my thoughts and prayers as she has been from the first time you posted about her. Thank you again and again for the honor of taking part in the pillow case project. Jami is such a shining example for all of us, to focus on the blessings in her life when she is so ill. Gentle hugs going out to her.
On a brighter note, I love your 'Cupcake' block. So cute...I haven't stitched that one yet. Right now I stitching on my little Christmas quilt. Cute, fun and easy. I'm certain the pattern is available somewhere in the US.
Please keep us updated on your mom and Jami...and yourself, when you have the time to post. Big Hugs dear friend...

Janet O. said...

So glad that your Mom is back on track, and that you spoke up about it with the doctor!
Bless Jami's heart. She is amazing! Thank you for letting us help her make her pillowcase delivery a reality.
I have had your Mom and Jami in my prayers and will continue to do so.
Cute stitchery to brighten some hard times!

Cheryl said...

Thank god Mom has turned the corner. Hope she continues to get stronger.

So sorry to hear about Jami. She is an amazing woman. Thank you for sharing her story of strength, courage and faith with us.

antique quilter said...

sounds like you need a vacation to the beach again.
Glad Mom is eating again....since she feels better maybe she won't do that again!
thinking of you
Kathie

Diane said...

will be remembering you, your mom and Jami in my prayers.
your block is so cute.

Angie said...

My heart hurts...

Darlene said...

You already how I feel so I'm just going send a big old (HUG).

Love your block!

Kim said...

Well now all of this only goes to prove what a strong and caring woman you are. You will get through this with the help of your friends here who will read every word you have to share, so no need to be sorry for telling us how things are. Write a book if it helps! As you can see, I have no problem doing that very thing here in your comment section, lol. It helps. :) Your mom will feel better - she's got to, there are many more good books to read! And your friend, Jami...this is a very sad thing. You can certainly say that you did good by this friend and she did what she could for so many and with such a kind and giving heart, the two of you have this in common. Here's a hug for you, Carol. And a hug for Jami's Thom.

Pat said...

WOW! You are amazing....so much going on. I'm glad your Mom is better and eating again. I'm so sorry for Jami and family they are in my thoughts and prayers. Don't forget to take care of you!

carol fun said...

Sending prayers and positive thoughts for you, your Mom and your friend - hang in there!

deb said...

Its a good thing you spoke up....and Im so glad shes eating right and she has you to thank for it! Heres hoping she continues to improve!!!!

QuiltSue said...

I', not surprised you feel you've fallen down a rabbit hole, there's so much you have to think about at the moment. I'm thinking of you and hope all will work out soon for everyone.

Diane said...

So much at once. It always seems to come that way, doesn't it?

I have to say I worship my parents' doctor. She is wonderful to them, and to me. It makes all the difference in the world.

Me and My Stitches said...

So glad your Mom is feeling better and eating! That has to be a relief for you. But, sad about Jami. I was just thinking of her earlier this week and wondered how she was doing and if she got all of her pillow cases delivered. What a special person she is.

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Oh Carol - what a whirlwind you've been through my dear friend. And, you've handled it with grace and care! I'm so glad that things are looking up for your mom - and I tell you seeing that adorable cupcake block -all bright and cheery - well it just made me smile! So glad that you are back - we've really missed you!

Anne Heidi said...

My thoughts and prayers are with Jami, I am so sorry to hear she's worse.
It sure sounds like you have had a full couple of weeks, glad to hear your mom is eating and getting her strength bak. Sending you big hugs from Norway :-)

Allie said...

Oh my - well, I hope your mum is on the right track now, I'll be praying about her appetite, and for sure praying for Jami. What a blessing she is, even to those of us who don't know her.

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Hi Carol, I feel your pain...my 88 yr old mom was hospitalized back in September and she is just now getting her strength back - found out she was bleeding internally and then she picked up pnuemonia in the hospital, so Sept - Oct very stressful, but she is back on the mend thank God!!! I pray Nov is much better for all of us!!!! :)

Karen said...

I am glad to learn that your mother is better. And sad to learn that your friend is worse. You certainly have a lot on your plate.

I gave my completed "Nice People, Nice Things" blocks to Jean in Clermont along with some unfinished ones. She stitched the unfinished ones and made a quilt top which I got to see last week.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Carol you've had a very difficult few weeks, maybe longer. I'm so sorry about your friend but you blessed her so much with your willingness to call on others for her project. That's a very good thing. Time can be our friend - time to mourn, time to rejoice. blessings, marlene

Gretchen said...

You sure have a lot going on. Glad to hear your mom is doing better and I hope getting her eating well will help a lot to improve her health. So sorry to hear about your dear friend Jami. My thoughts are with you.